Recipe of the Week: Black Bean Soup
We know this week has been tough for everyone, and that many of us are self-quarantined and social distancing as much as we are able to. This means more home-cooked meals, which can be both healthy and comforting in times like these. This easy black bean soup uses items that you may already have on hand, and if you don’t many of the ingredients are easy to swap out for substitutions. Here’s the full recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped or finely chopped (whatever you prefer)
- Sauté onion in olive oil.
- When onion becomes translucent, add cumin.
- Cook 30 seconds, then add garlic and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add 1 can black beans and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat.
- Using a hand blender, blend the ingredients in the pot, or transfer to a blender.
- Add the second can of beans to the pot along with blended ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Serve soup with bowls of red onion and cilantro for garnish.
- Can be doubled or frozen.