Recipe of the Week: Fiesta Beef Pot Pie
Make something hot and delicious when you buy Crisco Shortening & Oil which is now available on Magic Receipts and you’ll earn up to 50 SB when you upload your receipt! You’ll need this for the Fiesta Beef Pot Pie by Crisco.
- 1 2/3 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 C. plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 C. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 C. Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 5 to 7 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 Tbsp. Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil OR Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 lb. lean boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/2 C. chopped green pepper
- 1/2 C. chopped onion
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can Mexican style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 1/2 oz.) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 C. water
- 1/3 C. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Spice Islands® Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Spice Islands Ground Cumin Seed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/3 C. sliced black olives
- GLAZE AND TOPPING
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- COMBINE flour, cornmeal and salt in a food processor. Pulse in cheese and shortening. Or use large mixing bowl and cut in with pastry blender or 2 knives. Add ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, as needed, mixing just until moist enough to hold together.
- ROLL out half the dough. If needed, chill dough for ease in handling. Place in 9-inch pie plate pressing to fit without stretching. Trim even with pie plate.
- HEAT oven to 400º F.
- HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned evenly. Add green pepper and onion. Cook until tender. Add tomatoes with liquid, corn, mushrooms, water, tomato paste, sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- REMOVE from heat. Stir in olives. Spoon hot filling into unbaked pie crust. Moisten pastry edge with water.
- ROLL out dough for top crust. Place onto filled pie. Trim 1/2-inch beyond edge. Fold top crust edge under bottom crust edge. Crimp and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to allow steam to escape.
- BEAT egg with salt in a small bowl. Brush lightly over top crust.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.